Job Title: Development Director
Reports To: Executive Director
Hours: Full time
Please send your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Development Director Responsibilities
Summary: Responsible for planning and coordinating all aspects of fund development for the affiliate. Provide leadership and management on all fundraising initiatives including major gifts, planned giving, government and foundation grants, in-kind contributions, corporate support, special event fund-raisers, and sponsorship acquisition. Identify, organize, and manage the fundraising activities of the affiliate with a focus on new possibilities to obtain ongoing and increased support from individuals, public and private funding organizations, faith communities, and corporations. Responsible for formulating a funding strategy which deepens the commitment of existing donors, maximizing the number of supporters overall, and developing opportunities for all to contribute to Lake-Geauga Habitat for Humanity goals in practical, meaningful, and personally satisfying ways. Requires a multi-skilled individual who can build long-term relationships in the community and financial support for Lake-Geauga Habitat for Humanity.
Policy and Planning
- Work with Executive Director (ED), Development Committee, Board, and staff to develop and implement a long-range development plan. Prepare comprehensive annual fundraising plans complete with dates, roles, events, needs, etc. Plans should focus on strengthening the existing donor base as well as increasing the donor base. Create corresponding evaluations to monitor progress. Review plans regularly and recommends changes as appropriate.
- Develop fundraising policies, practices, and procedures to support smooth organizational growth.
- Perform prospect research on corporate, organizational, faith community, foundation, civic and individual donors to determine sponsorships, gifts, grants, events, and collaborative activities. Make public appearances and presentations as required to solicit funding and sponsorship support (may include ED and board members). Focus on retaining and growing long-term donor relationships.
- Lead Major Gifts and planned gift-giving program. Set annual goals/plans for major donor cultivation including visits including ED and board members.
- Working with ED, develop/maintain planned giving/endowment programs.
- Lead annual fundraising events.
- Cultivate volunteers as donors and donors as volunteers, work to raise community awareness by scheduling public speaking events for ED, staff, and board.
- Coordinate with internal and external resources to successfully execute the job.
- Assist ED with researching and writing grants and reporting requirements.
- Develop budgets and monitor expenses related to the development function. Maintain complete, accurate records of all fundraising events and activities.
Administrative and Financial
- Lead the maintenance/expansion of the existing database by better defining how it is used, where and how data is entered, etc. Ensure timely updated records from all sources. Use a database to coordinate fund development activities and donor retention and recognition programs.
- Recruit, orient, and supervise volunteers for fundraising activities.
- 10+ years with Development experience
- Demonstrated ability to raise money through individual and corporate giving programs, including major gifts, membership programs, and sponsorships; special events’ and grant writing. Planned giving/bequests/endowment experience a plus.
- Experience with planning, managing, executing, monitoring, and evaluating projects and meeting deadline and demonstrated ability to plan, organize, and communicate in a fast-paced, limited resource environment;
- A people-person with exceptional verbal, written, listening and presentation skills;’ strong leadership, networking, organizational, and motivational skills;
- Database management experience and the ability to maintain accurate records and prepare timely and meaningful reports;
- Team player/able to work collaboratively and effectively with and among diverse populations. Must also be able to make decisions and solve problems independently and effectively,
- Commitment to Habitat’s mission and principles.
- All other duties required to fulfill the needs of the affiliate.
- Experienced in all Microsoft office products and fundraising databases.
- Some evening/weekend work required.
- Background check required.
- Assist all other staff with projects as required, willing to pitch in wherever needed.
- Health, Dental, Vision